United Way of the Columbia Gorge Executive Director
United Way of the Columbia Gorge (UWCG) Executive Director Position Description
Reports to: President of the UWCG Board of Directors
Affiliation/Hours of Work: Part- time/ 20-30 hours/week, occasional evening/weekend functions
Start Date: June 1, 2020
Salary Range: $18-26/hour depending on qualifications
Benefits: Travel and Cell Phone reimbursement, Flexible working arrangements
United Way of the Columbia Gorge (UWCG) is a non-profit, local agency that supports non-profit human service programs in Hood River, Wasco, Sherman, Klickitat and Skamanai Counties. Rather than supporting just one person or one charity, we unite individuals and combine resources to spread the funds across the entire Columbia Gorge-- providing a community safety net while also catalyzing community change. The website is https://www.unitedwaycolumbiagorge.org
Overview of Responsibilities
The Executive Director is responsible to work with a diverse team of leaders and volunteers to achieve the vision of the United Way of the Columbia Gorge as developed by the Board of Directors. The Executive Director understands the value of collaboration and relationships and works across private, public and corporate sectors to help our organization make a positive impact in our community. The Executive Director is responsible for the ongoing trust in the United Way brand and helping the organization continue its relevance in the community.
Qualifications and Requirements
1. Ability to support the development and communication of a compelling and inspired vision among Board Members, donors, volunteers, service providers, business leaders and the community.
2. Demonstrates broad knowledge, passion and perspective regarding the five counties represented by UWCG, their community issues and the unique role that United Way has to build a positive, sustainable quality of life for all.
3. Demonstrates strong listening, writing, public speaking and presentation skills.
4. Previous experience in the non-profit world, either as a volunteer or employee is preferred.
5. Expertise in corporate, employee, individual and special event fundraising is preferred.
6. Experience with social media, marketing and public relations communications.
7. Strong organizational skills
8. Bachelor’s Degree or Associate’s Degree in a related field is preferred
9. Displays a broad understanding of diversity and equity and a commitment to helping the organization determine actions to address gaps.
10. Demonstrates proven fiscal management and responsibility to properly oversee an organization’s budget and build trust in the organization’s ability to act as a reliable steward of its finances.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Governance and Planning
· Develop an organizational strategic plan, in partnership with the Board of Directors, periodically update the strategic plan, and track and report progress.
· Ensure commitment to and compliance with bylaws across the organization.
· Develop and maintain positive relationships with key stakeholders and community organizations.
· Execute strategies and initiatives to engage community organizations in the achievement of the UWCG’s mission.
· Working with the Board Treasurer & Bookkeeper establish recommended allocations levels, annual budget, revenue forecast, and other projects as needed. Report on expenditures and donations as requested.
· Oversee the allocations process ensuring volunteer representation from each council service area, communications with agencies, coordination of agency presentations, reporting to the Board on results.
Major donor coaching
· Build and maintain a current, database for major donors. Assist in the creation of campaign materials. Conduct Prospecting and Evaluation of potential and existing Major Donors.
· Conduct donor development events.
Marketing / PR
· Coordinate with Board Marketing Chair to highlight key marketing initiatives for the UWCG.
· Provide oversight for general public relations via the website, Facebook, newspapers. Note: local councils should plan and execute marketing for fundraising events with input from the Board Marketing Chair.
· Establish, plan, staff and execute UWCG level events as needed or requested by the Board of Directors. Be present at all events as a key representative of the UWCG(Examples: Allocation check presentation / Cultivation events / etc.)
Support of the Councils
· Assist the local councils in establishing annual fund raising and council membership goals. Provide guidance to councils in planning and executing fundraising events: establishing a financial model and goals, marketing, sales, etc.
· Share with local councils what has worked and not worked in other councils and other United Way organizations outside the Gorge.
· Guide local councils in establishment of company campaigns: establishing campaign coordinators as needed, assist in giving presentations as needed, ensure campaign materials are updated and available.
Please submit your resume and a detailed cover letter describing how you meet the Qualifications and Requirements listed in this Position Information document by April 14, 2020 to firstname.lastname@example.org We will interview applicants on a rolling basis with a goal of hiring the new Executive Director by May 1, 2020 to start by June 1, 2020.